EDS Recycling Program
EDS WASTE & DRIVE SMART
Should I Recycle My Car Seat?
But why recycle car seats in the first place? Two main considerations are at work in this situation:
- Car Seats Expire – Yes, car seats have expiration dates. Due to their exposure to extreme conditions (like heat and sun), the plastic from which they are constructed generally degrades in five to six years. All car seats have expiration date stickers on them.
- Car Seats Can’t Be Used After Accidents – This is why car seat reuse isn’t a popular option, since potential buyers are often unsure if a seat has been in a collision, which could weaken the safety structures in the seat.
According to Angelica M. Baker, Phoenix Children’s Hospital Child Safety Passenger Specialist, “Garage sales and trash cans are not the answer to unwanted, old car seats – de-manufacturing and recycling is,” Baker explains. “This is the proper way to dispose of car seats. It’s important not to throw car seats in the dump. We have seen many cases where people will pull old car seats out of dumpsters or trash cans and use them.”
If you’re looking to get a car seat recycling program going in your community, you may have to do a bit of the “grunt” work. Disassembling car seats does require a little work, but it’s worthwhile. Not only will you help keep unsafe seats from being used, but you’ll prevent reusable materials like plastic and metal from being landfilled.
Car Seat/Booster Seat Recycling Program
o Geographic Location: Jefferson, Denver, Clear Creek, Gilpin, and Park Counties within Colorado
o Point of Contact:
- Jackie Mohr, Program Coordinator & DRIVE SMART Director Email: email@example.com Phone: 303-674-9683
- Chris Courtney, Operations, EDS Waste Solutions Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 303-278-8600
- Dianne Bennett, Marketing, EDS Waste Solutions Email: DBennett@edswaste.com Phone: 303-278-8600
o Website: www.edswaste.com
o Recycling Drop-Off Location(s):
STARTER LOCATIONS ARE LISTED BELOW AND AS PROGRAM PROGRESSES, MORE LOCATIONS WILL BE ADDED
- DRIVE SMART office 3112 Evergreen Parkway Evergreen, Co 80439 (lower level of Chuck Ridings STATE FARM office)
- Evergreen Transfer & Recycling 5810 Hwy 73 Evergreen, Co 80439
- EDS WASTE Headquarters 410 Orchard St, Golden, Colorado 80401
o Cost: FREE
o Materials Accepted – we will accept all of the materials however some will not be recycled.
· Shells – yes if plastic or metal
· Metal Components yes
· Plastic Components yes
· Mixed Components no
· Fabric no
· Webbing no
· Soft Foam no
· Hard Core Foam no
o Special Instructions/Comments